Spanakorizo



I am falling in love with Greek cuisine! Such fresh food with amazing flavors. You always feel that you are eating healthy! I was always under the impression that Greek veg is all about salads but I am so wrong. It was one of my lazzzy days which is normally defined as - me being super hungry but super lazy to cook anything :D I was really picking my brains wondering what I could cook that would be easy and both me and my son would enjoy. Scouring through the items in my fridge it had to be something I could do with spinach (as I had loads of it) and lemons. I was thinking of making the regular Indian spinach rice when I stumbled upon the name Spanakorizo - how cute does it sound! Intrigued I started browsing and finally ended up having it for lunch.

It is super easy and yummy! Great item to pack for kids' lunch boxes or if you want to cook up something real quick that is not only tasty but nutritious. My son loved it and I am really happy coz spinach is a super food that is always ignored. This is just my version. I don't know what the authentic recipe is but most recipes I saw on the net seem similar with just few minor changes.

 Give this a try if you have never tried spinach rice before. I am sure you will get hooked soon ;)

Spanakorizo Recipe:




Ingredients:

  • Basmati rice - 3/4 cup, washed, drained and soaked in about 2 cups of clean water
  • Baby spinach - 2 cups - washed and chopped finely
  • Garlic - 2 small, minced
  • Tomato puree - 1.5 to 2 tbsp
  • Salt and pepper - for seasoning, to taste
  • Olive oil - 1 tbsp
  • Parsley - few sprigs finely chopped, to garnish
  • Feta cheese - 1/4 cup or more crumbled, to garnish

Method:

  • Warm olive oil in a non stick pan and add the minced garlic. When it begins to brown add the chopped spinach. Cook on high flame, stirring frequently till the water evaporates.
  • Turn the heat. Add the tomato puree. Saute for few minutes.
  • Add the soaked basmati rice with the water. Season with salt and pepper. Taste the water and adjust the seasoning. You can also add some dried herbs if you want to increase the flavor.
  • Cover and cook undisturbed for about 15 minutes. Cook till all the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked. Cover and leave it to rest for about 5 minutes and serve warm with few lemon wedges, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Your comments and feedback are highly appreciated. Happy Cooking!